Celebes island in Indonesia.
- Sapwood: Whitish changes into reddish brown by the effect of light.
- Heartwood: Black with reddish or yellowish streaks, which gives the wood a very pleasant and decorative appearance.
- Grain: Medium size.
- Usually with wide streaks.
- Often defective, with cheeks and knots.
- Apparent density at 12% humidity: 1,090 kg/m3. Very heavy wood.
- Hardness (Chaláis-Meudon): 8.1. Very hard wood.
- It is extremely appreciated for its decorative interest.
- Turned and carved furniture.
- Interior furniture and cabinet work.
- Interior carpentry.
- Musical instruments.
- Decorative objects and utensils.
- Decorative panels.
- It was much sought for posts in traditional Japanese houses, for this reason Japan used to be the main importer for this Wood.
- It’s a very valued wood all over the world for fine cabinet work.
- Nowadays is a very scarce wood because of its widespread use over the past two centuries.
- Drying process: It’s difficult. Slow and careful, with a high risk of crack formation.
- Despite its hardness it is easy to work.
- Planing process: With a fine sanding acquires a natural shine of extraordinary quality.
THE WOOD DATABASE/Macassar Ebony