Millettia laurentii De Wild.
M. stuhlmannii Taub.
África: It is mainly found in the Eastern Africa, the main exporter countries are Cameroon, Congo Brazzaville, Gabon, Mozambique, Tanzania and Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Sapwood: Yellowish white.
- Heartwood: Dark grey to chocolate grey.
- Fiber: Straight.
- Grain: Medium size to rough.
- Apparent density at 12% humidity: 850 kg/m3. Very heavy Wood.
- Dimensional stabilitly:
- Volumetric contraction coefficient: 0,54%. Very nervous wood.
- Relation between contractions: 1,6%. No tendency to deformity.
- Hardness (Chaláis-Meudon): 8,1. Very hard Wood.
- Interior furniture and cabinet work.
- Exterior furniture and cabinet work.
- Carved and turned furniture.
- Interior carpentry: doors, stairs, paneling, molding, baseboards, friezes and parquet flooring.
- Exterior carpentr: doors and windows.
- Decorative panels.
- Resistence to static flexion: 1,800 kg/cm2.
- Elasticity module: 180,000 kg/cm2.
- Resistance to compression: 800 kg/cm2.
- Sawing process: Ordinary difficulties due to hardness and abrasivity.
- Drying process: Slow. Low risk of deformation and high risk of crack formation.
- Planing process: Difficulties due to hardness and abrasivity.
- Gluing process: Tannins hamper proper adherence.
- Nailing and screwing process: Pre-drilling is required due to hardness.
- Finish: No difficulties.
Capacity of being Impregnated:
- Sapwood: Medium capacity of being impregnated.
- Heartwood: No capable of being impregnated.
THE WOOD DATABASE/Wenge